Thursday, February 28, 2008

Jewelry and Juice

So, a couple things to report:

1) There was a craft bazaar on campus yesterday and today organized by STAR (Student Action for Refugees) with some beautiful art, scarves, jewelry and other stuff being sold by Sudanese refugees (a lot of the stuff was made in Sudan, too). I bought a few gorgeous things yesterday - a wooden beaded bracelet and a gold scarf. I went back today for a painting (by a Sudanese refugee artist, and it's a gorgeous painting of two women and a man dressed in traditional clothing, but you can't see their faces), and ended up buying that as well as a woven/wooden tray that was made in Darfur. Theoretically I'm going to use the tray here for tea, and then give it to my mom as a present when I get home (don't worry, Mom, I'll get you something I don't use first, too) unless I like it too much to give up. It is really pretty. Apparently they're holding this bazaar every month, so there goes all the money I'm saving on cheap food and cabs... ^^

2) I finally made it to one of the fresh juice stands that are scattered around the city - there's one on my way home from campus. I got blood orange juice (2 LE, ~40 cents), and the guy just cut two blood oranges in half and squeezed them in an old-fashioned press... the juice was so amazing. I'm going back there all the time. Next time, maybe orange/carrot?

No comments: