Monday, February 25, 2008

My Birthday and Other Fun Stuff...

So, this past Saturday was my birthday; 20 years old, no longer a teenager. Or, to quote my boyfriend, "Congratulations on two decades of epic win!!" On Saturday I had a few people over to my apartment, and we had food and played Uno. It was good fun but I forgot to take pictures. Sorry!

On Friday (reverse chronological order... I'm quite tricky), I went to the big fancy mall (City Stars) with a bunch of the girls from my apartment building. (I actually do have a few pictures from this excursion, just one or two, but I haven't uploaded them yet). It was pretty cool; we had Lebanese food, and smoked shisha (flavored tobacco smoked in a water pipe), and went to several stores, including Spinney's which I'm told is a lot like Wal-Mart (I'm not a Wal-Mart person myself... it was like Target except larger and not as well-organized). I also went to Starbucks there; even though there are several Western-style and international coffee chains around the city, I haven't seen many Starbucks, so I was jazzed to have a vanilla crème frappucino. I got carsick on the way back, though. The highway was almost a parking lot, but not quite, so we had a great deal of stop-and-go and an obscenely long drive. Still altogether worth it, though.

Also, I wanted to tell you guys about how I've found a favorite grocery store. It's pretty near my apartment where there happen to be, for some reason I can't quite fathom, about 5 markets of the same type right next to each other. My favorite is the one on the end, farthest away from where I cross the street, which I discovered by accident about a week and a half ago when I happened to be coming from a different direction than I normally do. I like it because the proprietor is really friendly and helpful, speaks a bit of English and laughs good-naturedly at my Arabic, and always seems so happy to see me when I come in. Also, today, I proved trusted enough (or something) to receive the number one can call to have the store deliver to one's apartment. Yay! Did I mention that they deliver everything here? Seriously... prescriptions, bottled water, groceries. I even got a McFlurry delivered right after I got here, when I was like... man, I could go for a McFlurry.

Also, I've already tried once to make pilaf from scratch and was not wholly successful (although I still ate it). I had some ideas for adjustments to make, and if it turns out well I'll post a recipe.

No comments: