Monday, February 11, 2008

Back From Outer Space...

So, the internet is now in a state of mostly working most of the time, so I'm back posting. I've done a lot of cool stuff in the past week and a half, which, unfortunately, I don't quite have the energy to describe in detail this far after the fact. Here's the highlights:

I went on an "Old Cairo" tour with the other international students. We saw some cool churches and stuff like that (including the area where, supposedly, the holy family stayed for a month after their flight to Egypt). We also saw the oldest mosque in Egypt. It was all really cool and at some point in the near future I'll post pictures in my Flickr account.

I also started classes. In addition to the classes listed in a previous post, I'm auditing choir. It's a tiny choir, which I'm pretty used to because by the time I graduated IMSA our choir was tiny, and the director's clearly very very competent, and the other singers are nice. As for my other classes, they're good, except that Arabic is really really tough. My favorite class right now is Intro to Sufism.

Last night, Egypt won the Africa Cup, and that was quite an experience just because of the amazing outpouring of joy from the fans. People were yelling in Tahrir Square so that I could hear them in my apartment, and everyone was dancing and singing. It was cool.

To wind up the entry, I want to tell you about something I saw walking back from class today that made me happy. So you know how in the US people wear t-shirts that say things like "naughty slut" on them? Okay, maybe not quite that bad, but you get my point. So I was walking down Qasr al-Einy today and I saw a hijabi wearing a top that said "Nice, Sweet Girl" on it. I think that's a cultural difference I can pretty much get behind (please disregard the fact that for like 2 years, one of my favorite shirts said "I don't care if I'm late for class, he's wearing Abercrombie." I bought it 'cause the picture on it had this cool Roy Lichtenstein thing going on. Anyway, I still thought the thing with the girl was sweet).

2 comments:

liz said...

Welcome back! I missed reading about your adventures. Hugs!

Ana said...

"I graduated IMSA our choir was tiny, and the director's clearly very very competent..."

A *guffaw* for the (un)intentional juxtaposition.

~Ana