Sunday, March 9, 2008

Mt. Sinai

Note: I have pictures throughout this entry, but these are not all the pictures I took. Check my flickr page for the rest.
* * *
I spent this weekend at Mt. Sinai (where Moses received the 10 Commandments!) with Sarah and Helen. Please remind me, if I ever decide that I want to climb a mountain, that I'm not in great shape and I get really bad altitude sickness. Still, I got some amazing pictures, to it wasn't a total loss.

We left late Friday morning, and took a bus that passed through Suez, and then down the west coast of Sinai (along the Gulf of Suez), and from there into the interior. I have a few pictures from the bus ride:

IMG_0276

We were dropped off at St. Katherine's, the monastery at the foot of the mountain, at about 7pm. We were planning to climb up and sleep on the mountain, then wake up to watch the sunrise, but there were no groups leaving near then, and we wanted a guide up, since it was dark. We waited in the courtyard at St. Katherine's until 1 am for a group (we were misinformed about the time, otherwise we might have tried to get rooms so we could sleep). We started up with them, and Sarah and I ended up going a lot of the way by camel (there's a camel path which, while easier to walk than the Stairs of Penitence, is still much easier traversed by camel. The last leg of the journey is impossible by camel, and has to be done on foot. I did it with the help of my guide, Muhammad.

IMG_0290

Also, I threw up partway up, probably having to do with my altitude sickness. Muhammad did not begrudge me this, and we had a nice rest. As we climbed, some people who were coming down encouraged us, telling us it was not far to the top. It was kind of nice to interact with strangers, since that's the sort of thing that's usually not a good idea in Cairo. Most of the people climbing Mt. Sinai were religious pilgrims (some sang hymns, in which I joined once I got to the top and regained my breath), and everyone was very cheerful. Once we got to the top, we settled in to watch the sun rise. I got some really nice pictures here (more on my flickr page).

IMG_0296

IMG_0292

Then, around 8am, Sarah, Helen and I set out for the bottom. Some of my favorite pictures were from the trip down.

IMG_0298

IMG_0304

IMG_0303

I do have to say that I'm glad we did the ascent at night. I'm afraid of heights and probably would not have climbed it if I'd really known how tall it was (about 2285 meters, or 7500 feet). Helen got away from us at some point, and it took Sarah and me a long time to get down, since we hadn't slept, and I was suffering from altitude sickness, and probably dehydration, and I was nauseous, light-headed, and I think mildly delirious (I kept seeing faces in the rocks. I remember the Virgin Mary, John Lennon, and half of Gandalf). I kept sitting down and refusing to move, and I never would have gotten down at all if it weren't for Sarah, who took such amazing care of me and was so considerate and didn't get frustrated with me at all. Still, it took us about 6 hours to get down. And I got really sunburned.

Once we got back to St. Katherine's, the monastery itself was closed to visitors (it's only open three hours per day), so unfortunately we didn't get to see any of the cool stuff they had there. Helen had already headed back to Cairo, but we didn't know this, and she wasn't answering her cell phone, so we took a while trying to figure out what had happened to her. People who worked in the guest house café said that they'd seen her that morning, so we knew she'd gotten down from the mountain. We called my flatmate (also named Sarah), who works for AUC housing, and asked her what to do. She called her boss, who told us just to get home and they'd figure out what was happening with Helen. Sarah and I had missed the bus, so we took a service taxi back to Cairo. It was really expensive, but at that point we were so exhausted (and I wanted to get back to Cairo in case I needed to see a doctor, since medical care in that region isn't very good), that we paid and were driven back. I got back to my apartment at about 11 and went the heck to bed (after finding out that Helen had made it back okay). I felt much better after getting off the mountain, getting some rest in the car, drinking lots of water, and being back in Cairo. I'm staying home from class today, though, and my flatmate's taking care of me. I hope y'all like those pictures. Phew.

2 comments:

Kel said...

GORGEOUS pictures. I'm so jealous. You climbed Mt. Sinai!! And besides, pain and sickness suck while they're happening, but as soon as they're gone the memory starts to lessen. So you'll be able to just remember the beautiful views and awesome pictures and nice guide, and it'll be a footnote that you were miserable :)
p.s. I see you in just over a month... I'm so excited!

The Odalisque said...

how amazingly spiritual. =-)